Monday, November 5, 2007

Meeting Flipper

I've had yet another great week. Saturday morning, Leah, Luke, Laura, Rusty, and I went to the Daytona Outreach Center for community service fun. The D.O.C. is located in a former crack house and the ministry is geared toward helping people who live in that area. Every Saturday, they get the bread from grocery stores that was supposed to be sold that day and taked it to homes and things like that. So we helped bag the bread, then painted the inside of their building. Of course clumsy me managed to spill a bucket of paint (but it was only a little bit and we cleaned it up so all was well).










After church on Sunday, Aunt Sandy and I took took the kayaks down the Halifax river. The weather was so nice and the water was perfect for kayaking. About 1/4 mile down the river, we saw a dorsal fin coming in and out of the water (we knew it was a dolphin) so I paddled over to the area. Dolphins are naturally curious so he would literally come within paddle distance to my kayak, then swim away and I would chase after him and he'd turn around and come up next to me again. It was so incredible to look directly into his eyes as he was looking at me. And to know that he could so easily get away from me, it was cool to think that he was interested in me. We followed him for about a mile, then decided we better turn back. The journey back wasn't nearly as fun. I wish I had pictures, but clearly my camera doesn't mix well with water. Kayaking is one of my new favorite things.

Leah texted tonight and asked me if I wanted to meet her at Barne's & Noble so I went up there and we browsed books and talked, which was a lot of fun. It's nice to hang out with people, other than my grandmother and aunt (and sometimes my uncle when he's not working). Then on the way home, a racoon narrowly escaped with his life when he ran out in front of my car. I'm glad he made it. It would have ruined my day if he hadn't.


Thought of the day (That has sooo been ringing true in my life. Why don't I just trust God?):

"I think we all have a need to know what we do not need to know." --William Safire


Jen

No comments: